05 Mar Couple of the month: Carol and Kevin
In this article cycle, we will post interviews with some of our wedding couples to help you better understand the preparation process as well as what to expect from the dance on the big day. You can see the dance video at the end of the article!
Dance style: Mix of rumba with surprise cha-cha dance
Song: Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling
Amount of Lessons: 17
1. How did you pick a song for your first dance?
We used to listen to the Guardians of the Galaxy album on road trips, and we always loved the “ooga-chakas” at the beginning of Hooked on a Feeling. When it was time to pick a first dance song, we wanted something nontraditional that fit our personalities and this was a natural choice!
2. What was the most important requirement for your wedding dance?
Carol: I wanted something a little upbeat that would lend itself to something more than just rocking back and forth on the dance floor.
Kevin: I wanted something nontraditional and to keep Carol happy
3. How many months in advance did you start? Did you have dance experience before?
We started lessons in mid-July before our early October wedding. Neither of us had any ballroom experience, but Carol had several years of ballet and jazz experience.
4. What was the biggest challenge for you preparing the dance and how did you overcome it?
Carol: Getting Kevin to agree to lessons in the first place! Since I grew up dancing, having a fun first dance was important to me, so eventually I persuaded him to try it out, and once we got started, he became a bit of a perfectionist and couldn’t stop!
5. Did you feel comfortable on the dance floor on the day of the wedding?
Carol: Very! The biggest gamble was that we danced outside and weren’t sure how sticky the cement would be, but it worked out fine!
6. Tell our future couples what to expect from the wedding dance on the day of!
There will probably be something that goes wrong (the bustle of my dress came undone), but if you’ve practiced, you’ll breeze right through it! I ended up just holding my dress up, and I think it looked better! Olga made sure we were ready for anything.
7. How did you feel after the performance on the day of?
Carol: So happy! It was everything I had hoped for, my childhood dance instructor even told us how impressed she was, and all of our friends and family really enjoyed it!
Kevin: I had pretty low expectations for myself, so I guess you could say I was happy with it.
8. What advice can you give to the couples?
Just enjoy it! Your friends and family are all there to support you, and they won’t know the difference if you mess up anyway!
9. Are you going to dance after the wedding? 🙂
Carol: I can work with that, I certainly hope so!