11 May Couple of the month: Madeline and Nick
In this article cycle, we will post interviews with some of our wedding couples to help you better understand the preparation process as well as what to expect from the dance on the big day. You can see the dance video at the end of the article!
Dance style: Mix Styles
Song: Spooky by Dusty Springfield
Amount of Lessons: 10
1. How did you pick a song for your first dance?
Dusty Springfield is an artist that Nick’s family has loved for years. We wanted to choose something that we both loved that isn’t one of the top 10 first dance songs at weddings. “Spooky” felt just right for our October event.
2. What was the most important requirement for your wedding dance?
We wanted to feel like ourselves! Throughout the process, we tried to strike a balance between giving the guests a show and staying true to our style. Alyona helped us choreograph a dance with just the right amount of flair while keeping things light-hearted and fun.
3. How many months in advance did you start? Did you have a dance experience before?
We started dancing in July for our late October wedding. We had taken one dance lesson together in preparation for my sister’s wedding, but Alyona taught us the rest! We didn’t have tons of time to spare, but it felt like just the right amount of preparation for our dance.
4. What was the biggest challenge for you preparing the dance and how did you overcome it?
We had to get over ourselves a little bit! Neither of us had much dance experience, and it’s easy to feel self-conscious when you’re learning something new as an adult.
5. Did you feel comfortable on the dance floor on the day of the wedding?
When the big day finally arrived, we were so excited to show everyone our dance. Somehow we weren’t nervous at all! We did make one tiny mistake, but we just smiled and danced through it.
6. Tell our future couples what to expect from the wedding dance on the day of!
Expect a lot of support! Your friends and family are there to see you have fun and be happy. Just smile and spin a little bit, the crowd will love it.
7. How did you feel after the performance on the day of?
After the performance we were feeling happy and ready to party!
8. What advice can you give to the couples?
Taking dance lessons isn’t just about the big performance. Our lessons were the best part of planning our wedding. During the stressful planning process, lessons provided a built-in time for us to laugh at ourselves and have fun.
9. Are you going to dance after the wedding? 🙂
Find us on the dance floor at every party!
You can see their dance below:
See more wedding dances by Brooklyn Dance Lessons on our youtube channel.
Book your dance lesson here.