28 Mar Couple of the month: Elana and Greg
In this article cycle, we will post interviews with some of our wedding couples to help you better understand the preparation process as well as what to expect from the dance on the big day. You can see the dance video at the end of the article!
Dance style: Mix Styles
Song: I Wanna Be Yours
Amount of Lessons: 10
1. How did you pick a song for your first dance?
Our first dance song was “I Wanna Be Yours” by the Arctic Monkeys. We wanted a song that was unexpected yet romantic, that we hadn’t seen anyone dance to for their wedding before. We love the Arctic Monkeys; one day our song came on Spotify shuffle and we simultaneously realized it was perfect for our dance. We love the quirkiness of the lyrics (for example, “I wanna be your vacuum cleaner, breathing in your dust” and “If you like your coffee hot, let me be your coffee pot”)
2. What was the most important requirement for your wedding dance?
We wanted our dance to have personality and to have fun with it. Obviously, we wanted that to translate into looking good on the dance floor and impressing our guests.
3. How many months in advance did you start? Did you have a dance experience before?
We started about 4 months in advance. Elana had a bit of dance experience (but not since high school!). Greg had never danced before and was completely new to it.
4. What was the biggest challenge for you preparing the dance and how did you overcome it?
Greg had a hard time remembering the choreography, and Elana kept wanting to lead. Eventually, with practice, we landed in a place where Greg was able to remember the choreography and Elana let him lead 🙂
5. Did you feel comfortable on the dance floor on the day of the wedding?
Yes! We practiced our dance once through in the bridal suite before we went out to do it for our guests, which helped ease some nerves.
6. Tell our future couples what to expect from the wedding dance on the day of!
It goes by so fast! We smiled, had fun and enjoyed the cheers from our family and friends.
7. How did you feel after the performance on the day of?
We felt great! We messed up a couple of times but didn’t really care… none of our guests seemed to notice and we were complimented on our dance all night!
8. What advice can you give to the couples?
We decided to do our first dance directly following our reception entrance, and would recommend other couples do the same. Doing it first calmed our nerves, and we were able to relax after and tear up the dance floor the rest of the night.
9. Are you going to dance after the wedding? 🙂
We plan on it!! We had so much fun learning how to dance together for our wedding.
You can see an extract from the dance below: